West African Environmental Conservation Initiative [Waecinit] was established / incorporated in 2016 under Federal Republic of Nigeria.
The Founders of this NGO are “Mr. Yves Gattepaille & Mr. Gerard Daminet” with other Executive Members at the origin of the re-discovery
of this remarkable specie “Encephalartos Barteri ssp.Allochrous” which belongs to African branch of Cycad’s listed in the IUCN Red List of
Threatened/Endangered Species, also integrated in The World List of Accepted Cycads. See (http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/41901/0)
Waecinit strives to participate in the Protection and Conservation of Environment and the Diversities in West Africa. Particulalyr in Nigeria where the Founders of the NGO permanently residents since many years. We wish to combine the conservation of this Specie with a plan of developing these Isolated Villages by protecting and assisting them through creatiion of nurseries for the reproduction of Encephalartos barteri ssp.Allochrous and other indigenous trees.
A scientist from University of Kumasi in Ghana, L.E NEWTON, discovered this very rare plant (Encephalartos Barteri ssp.Allochrous)
in 1978, when visiting Nigeria. This plant is a new Cycad subspecies in the area of Takkas-Gilling in North-East of Pankshin Local
Government Area of Plateau State, Nigeria and was probably on earth during the Jurassic period about 200 million years ago.
This plant is the only plant of its kind in the whole world and it grows only in this part of the world, some can be over 1000 years old.
This Plant is developing among rocks on the young granite of the Jos Plateau at an altitude of 1200 to 1400 m.
Other plants like African Canarium (Atili),Parkia biglobosa (Locust beans) etc. are also included in our areas of
interest for conservation. African Canarium is a beautiful tree endemic in Pankshin mountain.
In its adult it produces fruits and Oil similar to the Mediterranean olives used for multiple purposes.
It’s grows in rocky arena and has no competition with the farm land and the production of others Agricultural products.
Emphasizing on the importance of Encephalartos barteri ssp.Allochrous, This unique plant is fascinating to the botanists with their Archaic origin, the place they took as first Gymnosperm in the evolution of the vegetal world. Also the interest of the plants for the local tourism and its cultural value as it is unique in West Africa.
We have a priority in our Environmental Conservation Initiative to valorize the site in collaboration with the local people as there is an immense need to motivate them and to increase their awareness about improved production technology through the domestication of these tree species by nurturing them.
We have always regarded nature as the clothing of God.
To protect and conserve our Natural Environment by creating an enabling ground for Conservation of Threatened / Endangered species and other economic value trees that are at the risk of being extinct. To override deforestation and desertification by re-establishing a stand for Trees especially those in limited supply with economic values..Discover more
To continually nurture and maintain zero tolerance towards environmental issues. To champaign the preservation of Natural Environment for the benefit of the Government and the Citizens, provide Development for Tourist activities in Nigeria and create a sense of cooperation, mutual harmony and affection among members of the foundation and Nation at large.Discover more
1. To establish modern floating Nurseries for the reproduction and conservation of endangered subspecies of cycad family “Encephalartos Barteri ssp. Allochrous” within the geographical zones of the allocated plants.
2. To establish seedling stock of cycads and other commercial trees species of great importance to the local community and the world at large.
3. To provide development in green area areas in urban cities and make improvement on the environment for renewable resources.
4. To promote solar thermic energy in isolated villages, education and skill acquisition for youths and women.
5. To supply cycad seedling / planting materials to other botanical gardens of the world.
6. To multiply elite clone and promising varieties of proposed trees species of ecological and economic importance.
7. To construct Cycad Information Office & Botanical Gardens with Organic Gardens & Farms.
8. To conserve and unveiling the natural benefit of African Canarium with many other indigenous economic value trees with health benefit.
9. To reduce habitat loss of Endangered species as a result of reforestation.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better..Read more
Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.Read more
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.